Just in time for Super Bowl XLIX, marketing technology company Unruly has released a list of the most shared Super Bowl ads of all time by measuring the combined Facebook, Twitter and blog shares per spot.
Originally aired in 2011, Volkswagen’s “The Force” ad tops the list with 5.3 million shares. The ad for the 2012 Volkswagen Passat features a kid in a Darth Vader costume attempting to use the Force on the family dog, a baby doll and a sandwich, among other household staples. When the child’s father pulls into the driveway in his Passat, the child rushes outside to try his luck on the car. In the next scene, the dad is looking through the kitchen window, tricking the child into believing he actually accomplished his goal of harnessing the Force.
The next year, Volkswagen followed up with another “Star Wars”-themed spot that appears eighth on the list with 900,000 shares. The ad features a group of dogs barking to the tune of “The Imperial March (Darth Vader’s Theme)”.
Despite the successes, Volkswagen is sitting out the 2015 Super Bowl.
Budweiser appears on the list three times (2, 3, 4) with a combined 8.4 million shares, including a one-minute spot featuring the company’s iconic Clydesdale horses roaming New York City before kneeling down in reverence of the city’s altered skyline. The ad – entitled “Respect” – aired only once, on February 3, 2002, five months after the events of September 11th.
Also of note: three of the most-shared ads on the list were movie trailers, including two from the “Fast and the Furious” franchise.
The majority of the ads that appear on the list are from the last few years, reflecting the increasing ubiquity of social media in society, so it is very likely that a few spots from the 2015 Super Bowl will make it onto the next iteration of this list.
1. Volkswagen – “The Force” (2011)
2. Budweiser – “Respect” (2002)
3. Budweiser – “Brotherhood” (2013)
4. Budweiser – “Puppy Love” (2014)
5. Dodge Ram Trucks – “Farmer” (2013)
6. Universal – “Fast and the Furious 6” Movie Trailer (2013)
7. Chevrolet w/ OK Go – “Needing/Getting” Music Video Trailer (2012)
8. Volkswagen – “The Bark Side” (2012)
9. Universal – “Fast Five” Movie Trailer (2011)
10. Paramount – “Star Trek: Into Darkness” Movie Trailer (2013)
The happiest postal worker we’ve ever known. We always look forward to seeing him.
Since Johnson Gray’s move to Laguna Beach, we’ve noticed that every day around 5 PM people in the area all migrate to main beach to watch the sunset. Before we moved here, we were unaware of this daily ritual, but we can see why people do it. We enjoyed it so much so that we would like to share 7 reasons why you should make a sunset a regular routine in your life.
- The calming effect of a sunset can slow your perception of time.
- It’s only 20 minutes a day.
- A dose of fresh air promotes a sense of vitality.
- It’s healthy, whether you walking, running, or simply observing.
- It will force you to put your phone down.
- It will help you appreciate life’s gift.
- They can inspire you.
To see what time the sunset is today, visit this page.